Thursday, November 5th, 2009
Surry Nuclear Power Plant Kicks Off Winter Outage With The X-Deck Work Platform
Above: Kenny Sloane, Plant Manager, of Surry Nuclear Plant addresses the crowd pre-outage on a 5-Step 36″ wide X-Deck.
- Kenny on an X-Deck
Kenny in a pre-outage speech had the following to say about the X-Deck work platform:
“Ladies and Gentlemen, at this outage we are going to set a record. Our goal is to reduce the outage days from 24 days to 22 days. One of the reasons I know we can accomplish this goal is because of this SafeTec X-Deck platform like the one I am standing on. These stands will allow us to do our jobs safer and more efficiently. Reducing DOSE time and allowing us to complete this project at least two day early. We have our SafeTec representatives standing by to demonstrate the operation of these platforms. I encourage each and every one of you to stop by and let our SafeTec representative show you the proper operation of these units. I am sure you will see how valuable these platforms will be in reaching our goals.”
Surry Nuclear is a division of Dominion located in Virginia.
We thank Kenny and his leadership team for their support of the X-Deck work platforms.
Monday, March 2nd, 2009
SafeTec is proud to introduce the newest accessory that will debut in its impressive line-up within the next 8 weeks. It is a revolutionary dolly and wheel kit system that will allow the user to effortlessly move a platform equipped with this system with minimal effort. Operation consists of lifting the wheel kit and and pulling down on the dolly handle. This raises the platform onto the rubber wheels and allows the platform to moved in an erect or folded state with ease. This system will be available for both the 18″ and 36″ platforms (although somewhat different) and will come as a set that is pre-assembled for the user. This system increases productivity and efficiency while maintaining a safe working environment.
SafeTec Industries “Simplifying Safety”
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009
Physical or mental exhaustion can be threatening to your work performance. Too many people try to push themselves too far. It is important to make your priorities and to stick to them. Make sure that you get a full nights rest and come to work to be on the top of your game.
Tips for avoiding fatigue:
* Have others check your work.
* Watch for symptoms of fatigue in yourself and others.
Tuesday, February 17th, 2009
Top 10 Reasons the X-Deck is the Best Low Level Scaffolding. Period.
The X-Deck by SafeTec
- The X-Deck is lighter than traditional scaffolding. This allows for cheaper transportation costs and less worker fatigue.
- The X-Deck is ONE PIECE. There is no complicated setup like traditional scaffolding. You do not have to have a certified inspector to check to see if the X-Deck is properly setup because after use the X-Deck stays in one piece and does not have to be taken apart. This also keeps you from losing necessary pieces.
- The X-Deck is height adjustable. Although traditional scaffolding has some degree of adjust ability when it comes to different height settings the X-Deck adjusts up from its lowest setting in 7″ increments. This allows the worker to work at the PERFECT height for their application.
- The X-Deck is FIRST AND FOREMOST A SAFETY PRODUCT. The X-Deck has been recognized for its contributions in safety from safety organizations, nuclear power plants, State run organizations, and other trade related fields. Unlike traditional scaffolding that forces you to climb up stairs on the outside and climb over a rail, the X-Deck allows you to walk up comfortably and without any strain. The X-Deck comes standard with a handrail which most traditional scaffolding lacks. The X-Deck has a built in ANTI-SLIP, ANTI-TIP design that allows workers to work the full length and get their work done without fear of losing their tread or the product wanting to tip over.
- The X-Deck is extremely portable. The X-Deck can fold flat and pop open in seconds. It is simple and easy to setup. The X-Deck will allow you to get to your job site either carrying or rolling your X-Deck and then in a matter of seconds completely setup up the one unit or maybe even a second unit and a connecting board and get to the job at hand. This will allow you to easily move the X-Deck from job site to job site and be more productive.
- YOU CAN SET-UP 20FT OF WALKWAY IN LESS THAN 1 MINUTE. One of the great things about the X-Deck is that with 2 units and a connecting board (Either 8′ or 10′), one man can set up the 2 units and join them together with this walkway to have 20FT of walkway in less than 1 minute. Once you setup this walkway you can bridge over top of things you normally could not get to and where the only previous option was to spend hours setting up traditional scaffolding. You can setup the 2 units and the plank in a straight line, or curve the line, or even turn the 2 X-Deck parallel and connect them with a plank making a “C” shaped walkway. Any configuration you can think of you can do with the X-Decks. Plus you do not have to stop at 20ft! You can keep connecting additional planks and X-Decks together and build a walkway that can encircle a house!
- The X-Deck is stronger - MUCH STRONGER. While most scaffolding has a 500lbs capacity the X-Deck is certified to hold up to 2,000 lbs! This means you can feel comfortable getting more than one worker on an X-Deck or bring equipment up on the X-Deck with you. The X-Deck is stronger because it is hand made with only solid welds and not cheaply made by merely spot welding. The X-Deck is a stronger more quality product than any traditional scaffolding.
- The X-Deck is built to last. Yes traditional scaffolding is a little cheaper, but you get what you pay for. The X-Deck has been tested and proven to last 5 to 10 times the life of traditional scaffolding. Depending on the usage of some traditional scaffolding they can be unsuitable for use as little as 6 months after purchase. The X-Deck WILL LAST 20 to 30 years of everyday industrial usage.
- The X-Deck can be customizable to fit your specific application perfectly. With different options including deck width, step width, wheel kits, work trays, connecting boards, many handrail options, and our ability to do custom work for you makes the X-Deck the perfect tool for your job.
- The X-Deck is SEXY. Not only is it sleek, chrome, simple to use, and a head turner, but it says something about who you are. You are someone that values strength, stability, and safety. You invest in safety and in making your company the best it can be. When you get to a job, pop open your X-Deck, and don’t even break a sweat or a smile you are going to look like the professional that you already are. Not only do you get a “step up” on your competition you will be the most memorable because you will be the safest, fastest, and best company around.
Read more about how the X-Deck is better than baker’s scaffolds.
Invest in Safety ~ Invest in SafeTec
Monday, February 2nd, 2009
According to The National Safety Councils’ Magazine entitled “Safety & Health“; Scaffolding, Ladders and Fall Protection are three of the Top 10 most frequently cited OSHA categories. These citations are common incidents that range from blatant safety disregards to product misuse. Here is a list of the Top 10 Most Frequent OSHA Violations from 2008 which is taken from the National Safety Councils’ website (www.nsc.org).
Workplace Safety Compliance
OSHA’s 10 Most Frequently Cited
Violations of 2008
Including links to training programs available through the National Safety Council
(OSHA’s list covers the period of October 1, 2007 through September 30, 2008.)
||Scaffolding (1926.451 )
||Hazard Communication (1910.1200)
||Fall Protection (1926.501)
||Respiratory Protection (1910.134)
Lockout / Tagout
||Electrical Wiring (1910.305)
||Powered Industrial Trucks (1910.178)
Powered Industrial Trucks
Coaching the Lift Truck Operator
||Machine Guarding (1910.212)
||Electrical (1910.303 )
These common violations and safety issues derived from scaffolding and ladder use can be solved by using an X-Deck Work Platform. The X-Deck combined the portability and ease-of-set-up that one would expect from a step-ladder with the safety and increased productivity that is commonly found in scaffolding. The X-Deck; “Simplifying Safety.“
Monday, January 26th, 2009
Lack of teamwork is a safety hazard.
Failure to work together to complete a shared goal.
- Discuss how a job should be done.
- Make sure everyone understands and agrees.
Chris Seaman Jr
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009
We have been through the safety departments of several major companies safety departments. We presently sell to NASA, Kennedy Space Center, Disney, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grummon, General Mills, General Electric, Bath Iron Works, United States Air Force at Ft. Knox - we have also been approved through the Sears and Grainger safety departments and are approved vendors for both.
We were named as a new safety product by the Georgia and Ohio department of Labor (OSHA) in 2006 and 2008. The Georgia Dept. of Labor had a seminar on platforms/ladders and featured our X-Deck as a safe alternative. Program given by Ralph Blessing, safety director for McKenney’s Mechanical - Atlanta office and OSHA instructor. They also asked the US Dept. of Labor - OSHA in Washington DC if they saw any problems showing our product at their safety show. The U.S. Dept of labor found no problems. Bovis Lend-Lease named us as the “Best Practice” over step ladders.
We meet all the standards (OSHA and ANSI) on Scaffolding and platforms including:
Strength (SWL) - we have been tested and certified by an outside independent testing agency
Handrails - height and strength (200 lbs from all angles)
Base to height ratio’s
3 points of contact for mounting and dismounting
OSHA compliant gates
ANSI - welding and ladder standards (all work by certified welders and certified equipment)
Tread-plate is an aggressive, non-slip design
We also have a anti-tip design that far exceed our competitors.
Check your local and state standards for all compliance issues.
If there anything specific you need me to address or any other issues. Please contact us.
President, SafeTec Industries, Inc.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2009
Reduce and/or Eliminate Lack of Knowledge
This occurs due to failure to have training, information, and / or ability to conduct a task.
Ask when you don’t know.
Use current manuals
Accidents and Injuries often happen when we try and do things that we do not know how to do. If you do not know the answer to a question tell them you will get back with them when you find out the answer.
A simple tool is often the best tool. The X-Deck is as simple to adjust as a ladder but with the safety of scaffolding. Scaffolds are often complicated with many different parts. Traditional scaffolding also often has to be inspected by a trained professional.
Invest in safety and education and you will never go wrong.
Chris Seaman Jr
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009
Overconfidence from repeated experience on a specific activity.
Remember to upgrade your ladders and scaffolding to the X-Deck work platform. Just because you have always worked off of a ladder does not mean it is the right tool for the job. Injuries happen when people do not expect them. Plan ahead - and remember that one ladder injury costs way more than investing in a safety product like the X-Deck. In the end an X-Deck pays for itself many times over.
Chris Seaman Jr
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009
S T R E N G T H • S T A B I L I T Y • S A F E T Y
STRENGTH, STABILITY, AND SAFETY: These words accurately describe the X-Deck work platforms. The easy to use, one-piece platforms are lightweight and portable. They fold flat for ease in carrying and storage. The wheel kit option allows you to move the platform with a finger. They set up in seconds and by attaching a plank, you can have continuous low-level scaffolding in a snap. Adjusting the height also takes just seconds and allows you to work at a safe, efficient and comfortable level. Our lowest setting is only 16”, which is great for that little extra reach and our highest setting is 6’ 10” that allows a 5’10” person to reach over 14’. These lightweight, one-piece, anti-tip, portable platforms are height adjustable and set up fast and easy. The lift assist spring makes set up easy. Work longer with less fatigue and at a more comfortable height and footing than traditional and specialty ladders.
From a survey of users, we found that most people save from 20 minutes to 2 hours per day by switching to the X-Deck Platforms. Using a shop rate of $50.00/hr. and using the low estimate of 20 minutes per day, the platform would create a savings of over $4100/yr., per platform. Your yearly savings with minimum wage employees would be $1200-$2500 per year by using the X-Deck platforms. Our Pro-Line includes larger, stronger models or choose larger decks, steps, even handrails! They set up and fold flat in seconds and are height adjustable. All Pro-Line models are certified to hold 2000 lbs. (SWL 500 lbs)
The X-Deck Platforms normally outlast traditional ladders by up to 10 times. In addition, your added safety of this platform will normally reduce workman’s compensation and other related injury expenses. The insurance industry has estimated over 600 people a year die in North America from ladder falls and over 240,000 people are taken to emergency rooms with serious injuries. With proper use of the X-Deck Platform we can practically eliminate these deaths and injuries. The X-Deck Platforms are Certified, Tested, and Proven. Compliance with OSHA, ANSI and CSA International Standards